The City of San Antonio recently began a major project on Frio Street to improve pedestrian connectivity between Commerce Street and Cesar E. Chavez Boulevard. The $5 million project will add bike lanes, wider sidewalks, a safer crosswalk for students and other traffic signal improvements. Because the area is designated a cultural zone, there will also be additional streetscaping to promote foot traffic.
This project will affect the Downtown Campus community, as there will be a need to utilize alternate pedestrian and vehicle routes during the construction. Campus entry and exit points will also be affected by the construction. The following slides and brochure include some information provided by the city and depicts the pedestrian and vehicle transportation routes to use during the construction. As this city project progresses over the next year, UTSA Facilities will provide updates to the routes and post additional information received from the city. We will also disseminate this information through the university’s communication channels.
The city’s point of contact for this project is:
Fitzgeraldo G. Sanchez, P.E.
Transportation & Capital Improvements
P.O. Box 839966
San Antonio, TX 78283-3966
Office: 210-207-3334 | Fax: 210-296-3334
Frio St. Project Update: Houston Street and Frio Street Partially Closed June 1, 2017
The City of San Antonio will shut down a portion of Houston Street and Frio Street on June 1, 2017 from 7:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. for CPS and water main work related to the Frio Street project. Houston Street will be shut down both ways from Frio Street to Leona Street for CPS work. Vehicular traffic will be detoured to Martin Street.
The south bound right lane of Frio Street will be closed from Commerce Street to Buena Vista Street for water main work. Once that work has been completed the south bound right lane will reopen and the north bound right lane be closed for continued work. Frio Street will remain open to two lanes throughout the partial closures. Per the City of San Antonio, “all work is subject to favorable weather conditions.”
Projected Construction Schedule: May 11, 2017 – June 5, 2017
****The following dates are subject to change based on unforeseen construction conditions****
• May 11th – Begin demolition of concrete on west side of Frio St., W. Cesar Chavez Blvd. to Buena Vista St.
• May 11th – Close north Monterey drive to pedestrians and vehicles
• May 11th – Open Buena Vista St. drive
• May 11th – Place barricade protected path on Buena Vista St. drive for pedestrian access
• May 11th – Pedestrians traffic plan will require three intersection crosses to get from Monterey Bldg to Buena Vista Bldg.
• May 19th – Corner at Buena Vista St. and Frio St. will re-open and traffic plan will allow pedestrians to cross straight across
• June 1st – Begin demolition of concrete on east side of Frio St., W. Cesar Chavez Blvd. to Buena Vista St. (traffic plan will not change)
• June 5th – Begin construction of intersection at W. Cesar Chavez Blvd. and Frio St.
- Change to Pedestrian Crosswalks at Buena Vista Street – Tuesday, May 9, 2017
- Pedestrian Routes and Crosswalk Changes – May 9, 2017
- Alternate Pedestrian Routes during Frio St. Construction
- Temporary ADA Vehicle Drop Off Locations and Campus Access Routes
- Temporary ADA Routes from Parking Lots to Campus
- Construction of Temporary Entrance to Monterey Lot to Begin on April 19th
- Temp Entrance Map – Monterrey Lot
- Frio Street Construction Update – April 10, 2017
- Frio Street Construction to Resume March 28, 2017
- Frio Street – UTSA Fence Map
- CoSA Frio St. Update – March 27, 2017
- CoSA Frio St. Project Update – March 2017
- Frio Street Construction Slides
- Frio Street Brochure
<a href=”http://www.freepik.com”>Designed by Graphiqastock / Freepik</a>